Thursday, January 12, 2012

Using train cascades

The detector I trained back in November doesn't work for me anymore, so I'm attempting to train another one using the train cascades executable provided in the OpenCV framework.

I gathered 70k negatives , 30k positives and I run exactly the same code and boom crash burn. All I got was the message "Train dataset for temp stage can not be filled. Branch training terminated."

After 2 hours of screwing around all possible combinations and reading the same problems on the net I decided to look at the code (damn messy C++ code). After that I decided to reduce the number of negatives to the same number of positives and voila it worked.

I've come to believe that OpenCV was originally written by a couple of uber programmers and then left to be wrecked by drunken monkeys.